Thursday, August 19, 2010

Marquand: WHAT WHAT!!!


Keeping the count alive: four days until you arrive. Who’d a thunk it? I want to take a little time away from planning to introduce you to yet one more amazing person. Last year, I had the pleasure of singing the Marquand Chapel Choir, a group that helps with Wednesday’s Sung Morning Prayer routine in Marquand and also performs the anthem at the Eucharist service each Friday. My director was fantastic. He made schmucks like me sound like we had a voice. I was truly bummed to sing for him at graduation, knowing he was leaving.

Then, news came that this great man was staying in New Haven. Better still, staying to work at Yale. Cherry on top: he had been hired to hold the position of Patrick Evans, who was on sabbatical. So, without building up his amazingness too much, an interview with the man who will help lead music at Marquand, ¬¬¬Colin Britt!

Q: Colin, you’re taking on a new role in our community. How do you envision that role?
A: I serve as acting director of chapel music, and I also provide/supervise some of the logistical work in chapel. I deal with bulletin creation, some of the music copyright record keeping, and some work in the space itself, such as furnishing music resources and moving instruments.

Q: Nice, safe answer. Why are you here and not elsewhere?
A: A good place to start is the fact that I am coming directly to this job after a year as Marquand chapel choir director, where I developed a strong relationship with Marquand and grew to love the people here. So when I was approached about the job it seemed like a natural continuation of that work, and a good opportunity professionally because it’s a renowned institution with a very successful musical program.

At the same time, I had become so attached to the spirit of the place, the people, and the worship community. Last year I found myself not only attending the choir services, but if I possibly could I would go just to find a sense of balance.

Q: You are changing from one role on the Marquand Team to another, more visible role. Do you think this will be a difficult transition?
A: One thing that I liked about Patrick’s and my relationship last year is that he gave me a lot of freedom and liberty with choosing music, and he didn’t attempt to involve himself in how I directed. He let me do the job, while offering to act as a sounding board for ideas. I appreciated that because it allowed me the freedom to discover how I could best contribute to the worship style. So I was well-prepared for this position.

That said, it is a transition because I’m now more involved in the planning. Before, I had very limited involvement in choosing hymns or leading song, and for the most part I was one of many involved in planning. This will be a much more involved and more present role in the community. From a logistical standpoint, it’s a lot more work preparing bulletins, arranging music, etc.

Q: You now hold the position of potential boss of the new Marquand chapel choir leader, Michael Sansoni. You both were in school together, and you and Michael co-led the chapel choir. Now that you have more technical authority, will you lord over Michael?
A: Good Lord, I don’t Lord over Michael.

Q: What is your vision for this year?
A: From a musical standpoint, I believe that what Marquand does best is provide an open and welcoming space for all who attend, and one of the ways that it does that is through the act of song. And because singing is so central in Marquand, and because music from all over the world is used in such versatile ways, I feel that two goals for this year will be to continue that communal act of joining together in song and to explore more styles and genres.

My biggest goal for the year is to continue what has been started and led so expertly by Patrick and the music team, while finding ways that my particular voice can contribute in a unique way.

Q: Many people on the blog have spoken about the centrality for many people of Marquand to the YDS experience. Can Marquand live up to the expectations?
A: Absolutely.


Q: What is the greatest challenge to Marquand for this year?
A: Our challenge is to maintain the very successful ecumenical worship and the role that the chapel plays in our community, and to contribute to this legacy without carbon copying it. That’s both liberating and challenging. Siobhán and Patrick leave big shoes to fill, but we’re bringing to these roles our own unique strengths, experiences, and personalities. I, for one, do not own any Hawaiian shirts. (To see the contrasting styles of Colin and his predecessor Patrick, see the shot to the left.)

Q: How open, then, are you to student input for music?
A: Very open. One of the ways Marquand works is that it’s an opportunity for students to be directly involved in planning worship services, and there are many ways that can happen. Hypothetically, if a student preacher is giving a sermon for a worship service, they will be asked if there are particular music selections they want involved. If the music is appropriate—context, language, etc.—chances are we can use it in some way. That being said, we probably don’t want ‘Here I am Lord’ sung five times in one week.

Q: How would you advise new students to enter/treat the space of Marquand?
A: I hope they will find it welcoming, but expect to be challenged in their understanding of the possibilities of what worship can be. I also hope they will feel empowered to find new ways to share their own voice in the community.

Q: Any plugs for music?
A: If any students are looking for ways to be involved musically, there are several outlets. The two choirs that perform regularly are the chapel and gospel choirs. Gospel rehearses every other Monday evening (first service is the 14th of Sept), and Chapel choir every Sunday evening.

Also, if a student regularly plays a musical instrument in their worship community, they should contact me if they want to offer their gifts to our worship services. My email address is colin.britt@yale.edu .

Q: You are a fashionable man, do you have any advice for students?
A: Marquand has been, and will continue to be, a come-as-you-are community. So bring your own style and what you’re comfortable in, but the shirts and shoes rule might apply.
Q: So pants optional?
A: Actually, shoes are more optional than pants, now that I think of it. And would you tell all my friends from high school and college that you think I’m “fashionable”?

Q: Last thoughts?
A: The most important thing to remember about Marquand is that we want people to share and give to the community from their own traditions as they are comfortable, and that while not everything that happens in the chapel will be familiar, it’s our goal to welcome everyone and offer something new to every person who comes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment