Thursday, July 22, 2010

“Life off the Hill:” A Southerners’ Guide to Surviving a New England Winter


I’ve gotten several e-mails asking about weather-related concerns, mostly dealing with what clothes one needs to survive winter in New Haven. Apparently, y’all assume that since I’m from Texas, I, rather than Alex, will be able to understand your concerns and fears better, since Nebraska becomes a frigid wasteland with much more regularity than Texas. Of course, what you haven’t considered is that my relative inexperience with actual winter weather might have caused me to overreact and spend last winter wearing thirteen layers of clothing and huddled around a space heater.

Lucky for you, it didn’t.

However, that brings up a good point. I’ve just returned from vacationing back in the southwest (Texas and Oklahoma [which is actually much nicer than my hatred of all things OU has lead me to believe], specifically), and little in the southwest prepares you for a winter in New England. In fact, it’s hard to find a good winter coat down here. In Texas (or at least parts of it), we’ll get a cold snap for a few days, but it always warms up by the third day or so. Roads might ice over once or twice a year, but snow that sticks around more than a few hours is practically unheard of. What this means that that those of you who are currently living in a warm climate aren’t going to be able to buy clothing and outerwear that’s actually appropriate for New England until you get here.

Yes, even Lubbock, Texas, a warm city that’s surrounded by flat farmland for hundreds of miles in every direction has a ski shop, so wherever you live, you can buy clothing that’s advertised to be good in a cold climate. Still, you should bear in mind that there are no ski slopes in New Haven, and that you want very different things from a ski jacket and a coat to wear while you’re walking to class.

So how does one buy a New England-appropriate coat? Well, first off, you should wait until September or early October. During those months, many department stores will have pre-winter sales, which means that you can get a nice winter coat for up to 50% off. My winter coat came from Macy’s, and by applying for a store credit card (which has an usurious interest rate and has never been used again), I was able to gain another 10% off the purchase, getting a $250+ coat for a little over $100.

Second, try and take a Connecticut native with you when you go shopping. Despite what you may have heard, Yankees are friendly in their own, special way, and it should be easy to find someone from the Div School willing to help you out. My first instinct was to buy the heaviest coat I could find. When I’d made my campus visit, I’d asked around about the weather, and I was told that it “only” got down to seven degrees the previous winter. People meant that to be reassuring, but there’s still no “only” about seven degrees for me. However, my friend Sharon (who is from Connecticut) pointed out that I would be wearing other layers and that the temperature wouldn’t hover in the single digits for the entire winter. With her help, I ended up selecting a reasonably thick coat which had a lining which could be removed, depending on the temperature.

Remember, you aren’t moving to the arctic; you don’t need a parka.

Beyond a coat, you’re going to need winter footwear. The winter in New Haven tends to be wet and rainy, rather than outright snowy, so you’ll need shoes which will keep your feet dry. Galoshes of various types are popular. Puffy snow boots are probably overkill (although I always wanted a pair as a child). In a move which proves that moving to Connecticut has made me more Texan, I ordered a pair of cowboy boots, which I now swear by as the best possible winter footwear. It’s true; if the uppers are weather-treated leather and the soles are rubber, you’re not going to find shoes that keep your feet dryer while offering good traction. Still, I recognize some of you don’t want to look like you’re heading to a square dance or ho-down. These or these might be more your style.

Some people swear by long underwear, and I certainly received several pairs from well-meaning family members. However, I only wore the bottoms once, and I’m very much a wimp about the cold. You’ll probably be able to pass.

The real trick is to remember that winter will one day be over. It can be cold and wet, but it will eventually turn to spring. Armed with an umbrella, a wool coat, and good shoes, you’ll be fine.

3 comments:

  1. As a CT native, I will add that my most useful winter strategy is layering. Don't forget that, while it may be 20 degrees outside, it might be 75 the minute you step indoors. At the same time, one classroom might not heat as well and could be 15 degrees colder. Being able to add and remove clothing layers will be key to staying comfortable. Additionally, don't forget about the accessories. Invest in a scarf that will keep your neck and face warm, a hat that will cover your ears, and gloves that are warm but still allow you to move your fingers.

    I'll echo Josh's claim that long underwear is mostly unnecessary, but long-sleeved thermal undershirts are amazing on the most frigid days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, for what it's worth, this is helpful not only for Southerners, but for Yanks like myself who are coming from the other extreme (Minnesota). I'll happily pack away my -20 weather gear in favor of the CT winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having now spent three winters in the northeast, my tip for winter survival is of a different nature, and it is as follows:

    The snow in the northeast, at least as I have experienced it thus far in MA, is a whole different ballgame than say, Colorado. It is not powdery. It will not come and go, melting within days after it falls. It stays on the ground for weeks at a time (months, even), creating layer after layer of an ice-hard snow, each one further compacting all layers below. It is not particularly inviting, and I've even been known to get cut up by ice while trying to play in it.

    When I moved to MA, I didn't realize that one of my challenges would be keeping up my winter activity level. Ahem, this could help explain big weight gains, but I swore to myself I wouldn't make excuses. What it boils down to is that I think a challenge bigger than "what to wear" is "how to get some exercise when the snow does not look fun for sledding and the outdoors does not beckon." I hope others will have some tips!

    That being said, here is a question I have been meaning to ask. Does anyone know the cost of annual Payne Whitney Gym membership for spouses of students who get their Yale Affiliate IDs? And there is not a user fee for students using the gym, correct?

    ReplyDelete