Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Village on a Hill: Introductions: Doreen Generoso


Hello all! The heat wave has passed finally. It hovered around 100 degrees for a few days here, and I have to admit I was antsy. It took me a few days to understand it, but here's the best way to describe it to you. New Haven/Northeast people have no idea how to act in heat. It reminds me of the one time it snowed in San Antonio during my undergrad experience: everyone acted like it was no big deal, they puffed out their chests and put on a good face. But there was a great deal of strain in people's eyes--they were just on edge more than usual. It was the same here. Snow, ice, sleet are no problems up here, but the thought of a marginally hot day was something they couldn't handle.

Needless to say, I'm glad it's over. So pleased, in fact, that I'm going to post another interview (sorry, I really struggled to find a segue into this post after that random rant, and this is all I could do). This week's interviewee is Doreen Generoso, our Financial Aid Assistant.

NOTE: She did everything she could to make sure I didn't get a photo of her, even to the point of claiming that the website "might not" have a picture. But it most certainly does! In partial deference to her, I will not put up a photo on the blog, but GO HERE to put a face to the name.

Q: Doreen, why are you here? Not in the metaphorical sense, but practically why have you made YDS your home?
A: I got here because about 30 years ago I started working in financial aid for the Graduate School. It has been part of my blood for 30 years. I stayed home and had kids, but when I came back to work I started here and this is what I know and that’s how I got here, and why I’ve been here for 13 years.

Q: So tell me a bit about you family, your kids…
A: I have three children, one son and two daughters. My son is a recent grad of SCSU. One daughter is in her last semester at SCSU, majoring in History, and she hopes to teach. My last daughter is in her 3rd year at SCSU, and she will be going to Heidelburg as part of a Study Abroad program in the fall.

Q: Good lord, with all those connections, why are you not at SCSU?
A: Well, my grandfather retired as Yale’s chief of police, and I have two sisters working at Yale, so Yale has been my whole life.
Q: So the family blood contains a lot of enforcement: law enforcement as well as financial enforcement?
A: (Chuckles) I suppose it does.

Q: What is the biggest joy of your work?
A: Knowing that I’m able to help students afford and get through this program. Without financial assistance students aren’t able to be here. If I’m the tool, the conduit that allows them to be able to get through the program, that’s why I’m here.

Q: What is the most trying thing about your work?
A: Not having enough money to go around (smile).

Q: What is your favorite place on the Quad?
A: My favorite place on the quad… Marquand Chapel because everyone is in there for one common reason and it’s joyful, soothing, and community comes together there.

Q: What is your favorite movie?
A: Gone with the Wind.

Q: Josh has posted the pros and cons of the two nearby movie theaters on the blog. What would you choose?
A: The Criterion. It’s smaller and closer.

Q: What is the most common question you get asked?
A: It depends on the time of the year. For back to school, it’s ‘how quickly can I get my refund’. The answer is: students should make sure they’re set up for direct deposit on the SIS website. Second, when the loan is applied to the student’s account roughly 3 days before classes start, they need to go back and request the refund on the website. This will usually come in the first week of classes.

Q: To end on some fluffy questions: What can you just not get enough of?
A: Friends and family.

Q: What is your biggest pet peeve:
A: My biggest pet peeve for students is that they are in a centralized location in New Haven, and they don’t take advantage of their location: 2 hours from skiing, NY, Boston. With so much to see and do in the Northeast, it bugs me when a student comes here and sees nothing else.

Q: What advice do you have for new students?
A: Pay attention to email. Open your snail mail and actually read it (laughs), and be sure to check your student mailbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment