Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"Life off the Hill": An Explanation

Yale Divinity School is located at the top of the Prospect Hill, which I believe is the tallest hill in New Haven (Wikipedia neither confirms nor denies this, so I'm going to go with it. Interestingly, Wikipedia also fails to mention YDS's presence in the neighborhood, which is why you should never cite it in an academic paper). My unproven claims aside, that means that we've got a great view from the Quad; it also means that we're a little isolated from the rest of Yale (some undergrads don't realize that campus extends all the way out to us).

Life on the hill is great; don't get me wrong. But there's an entire campus (literally) downtown from us, and as a YDS student, you're a part of that larger community (you can even take classes at Yale College, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, or another professional school). You're also part of the larger New Haven community. With that in mind, Alex and I have decided to run a series of articles about "Life off the Hill," which we hope will begin to introduce you to those parts of Yale and New Haven that don't have anything to do directly with the Div School. Each week, I'll pick one fantastic (or at least fantastic to me) thing about Yale or New Haven to introduce to you. It's going to be fun (at least for me; I'm getting paid to research and write about this stuff, after all); I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment